Pocket Guide Series: to prepare smallholder farmers to adapt to climate change
(provided in partnership with Catholic Relief Services)
Manuals and Guides
- Manual for the Feed the Future Tajikistan Household Farm Extension and Advisory System
- Identification and Control of Major Diseases and Insect Pets of Vegetables and Melons in Georgia
- Chemical Management Guidelines for Control of Pests and Diseases of Vegetables and Melons in Georgia
- What Every Extension Worker Should Know: Core Competency Handbook
- Agricultural Extension Field Diary for Extension Workers in Malawi
- MEAS Training Guide for Working with Women’s Groups in the Middle East and North Africa
Smart Skills Training Modules
MEAS supported the development of the Smart Skills Suite in collaboration with Catholic Relief Services, CRS. The final versions (in English) are available online at the links provided below. The manuals will soon also be available in French and Spanish.
- SMART Skills (Intro)
- Organizing and Managing Farmers’ Groups
- Facilitating Savings and Internal Lending Communities
- Financial Education (four booklets)
- Understanding Natural Resources
- Managing Natural Resources
- Marketing Basics
- Seven Steps of Marketing
- Promoting Innovation
This narrated presentation (right) describes the five skills sets that enable smallholder farmer groups to engage successfully with markets: group management, financial management, marketing and enterprise development, natural resource management for sustainable production and innovation. Also, enjoy these photos from SMART Skills training in Zambia.
MEAS Training Modules
- Integrating Gender into Extension Services by Kathleen E. Colverson, University of Florida
See also the International Livestock Research Institute's training manual, "Closing the Gender Gap" from April 2013.
- Guide to Producing Farmer-to-Farmer Training Videos by MEAS and Access Agriculture
- Guide to Editing Farmer-to-Farmer Training Videos by MEAS and Access Agriculture
- Strengthening Program Development Competencies by Amy Harder and Glenn Israel, University of Florida
- Evaluating Extension Programs by Murari Suvedi, Michigan State University
- Developing and Utilizing Needs Assessments to Enhance Farmer-Driven Extension Systems by Robert Strong, Texas A&M University
- Participatory Rural Appraisal by MANAGE, India
- Methods and Techniques for Effective Teaching in Extension and Advisory Services by R. Kirby Barrick, Editor, Department of Agricultural Education and Communication, University of Florida
- Distance Learning - A powerful way to provide learning opportunities for pre-service and in-service training for extension professionals by Karen Vignare, Michigan State University
- Extension Administration – From Vision to Operations by Pete Vergot, III, University of Florida
- Extension Related Training Material available from other sources
- The Knowledge Network for Long-term Technical and Leadership Training Agrilinks group forum
A woman farmer in Tajikistan with a healthy homegrown red beet. Photo credit: B. Swanson 2011
Top SMART Skills for Smallholder Farmers
The Ugandan Farmer of the Year (2016) shows off his farm to Dr. Paul McNamara.
Policy Compendium in collaboration with GFRAS: a tool that contributes to fill the gap between the RAS policy environment and RAS efforts in the field.
Peace Corps Training Modules
MEAS Write Shop Resources